There is no denying that most of us attach the greatest importance to our appearance, while completely neglecting health issues. Over time, this begins to negatively affect not only the way we look, but also our physical and mental well-being, and the diseases that plague us sometimes require long-term and expensive treatment. So it is worth changing the importance of priorities, follow the well-known principle “healthy body, healthy mind”, and we will manage to go through life without major health problems, always maintaining a cheerful spirit and a perfect mood. Taking care of your health is unfortunately not as simple as it may initially seem, it is a complex, multi-faceted process. It consists of both the prevention and treatment of various ailments, proper nutrition, and an appropriate dose of physical activity. Let’s also not forget about the use of dietary supplements that support the entire body and provide it with the necessary nutrients that may be lacking in what we eat. Doctors of various specialties, with the support of dieticians and professional trainers, have long ago developed a set of useful tips and rules that should be followed in your life. By sticking to them, we will certainly avoid serious health problems, and our well-nourished and athletic body will cope with minor infections.
Rule No 1: a well-balanced, easily digestible and healthy diet full of essential nutrients
Nutrition has a significant impact on health, having a positive or negative impact on practically all its aspects. There is much truth in the well-known saying “we are what we eat”, although this rule does not always have a right connotation. The diet preferred by most people is, to say the least, far from the guidelines of healthy eating specialists, and in many cases even deadly to the body. It is dominated by junk food, full of preservatives that are harmful for the body, large amounts of salt and sugar. These are mainly various types of fast food, hamburgers, fries, kebabs, pizza, especially in a frozen version to be reheated in a microwave, snacks, sweets, cookies or chips. Avoid highly processed foods and carbonated, even sweetened drinks with a high content of glucose and fructose syrup. These types of food and drink lead to the development of many diseases, some even life-threatening, such as:
- digestive disorders manifested by flatulence, diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, leading to stomach ulcers, duodenal ulcer or very painful irritable bowel syndrome. The diet presented above is also the cause of overweight and obesity, another serious illness considered to be a civilization disease, and millions of people in our country already suffer from them;
- heart and circulatory system diseases, heart rhythm disorders, heart failure, hypertension, coronary artery disease, atherosclerosis, increased risk of venous embolism, infarction and stroke;
- increasing problems with the functioning of the brain and nervous system, weakening memory and concentration resulting from inadequate oxygenation of the brain. It is caused, among other things, by clogging of blood vessels with cholesterol deposited in them;
- problems with the skeletal system and joints, weakening of the bones causing their excessive fragility, which is related to the lack of adequate amounts of calcium in the diet. In the case of joints, we deal with their degeneration, which naturally progresses with age, but adequate nutrition can significantly inhibit this process;
- weakened, dry and dull hair, which, deprived of basic nutrients, also becomes brittle, easily breakable and begins to fall out prematurely. The nails become weakened in a similar way, and they can also be strengthened with a properly selected diet, not only with nutrients.
If we want to avoid all of this and fully enjoy health for a long time, junk, greasy and indigestible food must immediately disappear from our diet, and be replaced by:
- large amounts of organic vegetables and fruits, a real health bomb, thanks to which we will provide the body with virtually all the vitamins and minerals it needs, in such doses to achieve maximum positive effects. These are vitamins from all groups: A, B, C, D, E and K, and minerals such as calcium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, manganese and selenium;
- Omega – 3 and Omega – 6 unsaturated fatty acids, the main source of which, unfortunately, often lacking in the diet, are fish and seafood. It is worth eating them in order to be able to enjoy health, the absence of digestive ailments, an efficient nervous, blood and respiratory system and strengthened immunity. Besides seafood and fish, these acids can be also found in the recommended rapeseed or coconut oil;
- non-carbonated mineral water, which should replace all soda drinks, including beer, black tea and coffee, it is also worth avoiding alcohol. If we do not like water, we can always reach for green or red tea, natural freshly pressed juices from fruits from organic farming, or yerba mate brew.
Rule No. 2: lots of exercise, daily physical activity, preferably outdoors
Another basis of our health is physical activity, which unfortunately most of us try to avoid. Let’s be honest, we like to move, and this is partly related to our lifestyle, usually not very active, sedentary. This applies not only to work, but also to private life, because we usually spend our free time on the couch with a TV remote control or a smartphone in hand. The consequences of such irresponsible behaviour immediately affect our health, especially increasing obesity, which brings with it other serious diseases. A daily dose of physical activity has a positive effect on the entire body, all its most important systems, and by practicing some sport or at least walking for an hour a day, we can gain:
- stronger muscles, bones and joints, their mobility will increase and at the same time the risk of injuries decreases, and in the case of children we will correct any posture defects with appropriate exercises;
- a more efficient respiratory system which, in conjunction with a better functioning circulatory system, guarantees better oxygenation of the body, especially the brain;
- strengthened immune system, much higher immunity, not only to colds, flu or other seasonal infections. This natural protective barrier will also protect us from the risk of developing more dangerous diseases, and if they do occur, their treatment will certainly be faster and without complications;
- better mental condition, practically no stress or significant alleviation of its symptoms, including and often accompanying sleep disorders, i.e. insomnia. Good brain oxygenation also translates into increased intellectual capacity, the ability to learn and remember large amounts of new information.
However, we do not recommend that you take up sporting activities immediately without prior conditioning workout, as it may have adverse health effects than intended. Don’t try to run a few or a dozen kilometers on the first day, which will probably result in a serious injury. It is better to start, for example, with Nordic walking, a walk with poles, which has a great effect on all parts of the muscles, while strengthening weakened bones and joints. It is also a good idea to go to the swimming pool, if we can swim, of course, because it is another general sport, also recommended in the case of back pain. Once we get in shape, we can think about exercises in the gym, which will give us a perfectly muscled figure without a gram of unnecessary fat.
Rule No. 3: use of healthy supplements to supplement what we have not provided with our diet
Even the best composed diet, consisting of the healthiest, organic products recommended by doctors and nutritionists, may sometimes turn out to be insufficient to provide the body with the necessary nutrients. We are not always able to follow it strictly, so what is missing can be supplemented with dietary supplements, most often capsules with a natural, preferably plant-based composition. There are plenty of such herbs or other plants with healing properties, many of them also have slimming properties, and three of them worth mentioning are:
It should definitely substitute other types of tea drunk every day, as it contains vitamins A, B, C, D, E and minerals, zinc, calcium, and copper. It is a very strong antioxidant that removes free radicals from the body, the cause of many diseases, including cancer. It is also valued for its anti-stress effect, lowering blood cholesterol levels and thus preventing heart disease, or delaying the natural aging processes of the body. Green tea is an excellent choice for losing weight, although you should avoid excessive amounts as it can reduce absorption of iron, leading to anemia. However, by drinking it in moderation, we will quickly feel how much our health has gained.
In our country it’s called Withania somnifera, the plant belongs to the so-called adaptogens, most beneficial for almost all aspects of health, especially known for its anti-stress properties. Of course, this is not its only advantage, it also has a positive effect on:
- the nervous system, relieving its tension states, helping in the treatment of chronic insomnia, neurosis, depression and other mental illnesses;
- hormonal balance, regulating the level of secretion of particular hormones necessary for the right functioning of the entire body;
- heart and circulatory system by improving all blood parameters and removing excess cholesterol, especially its harmful LDL fraction;
- strengthening the immune system due to the high iron content;
- improving potency and treating infertility, as it significantly improves the quality of sperm and increases sperm mobility, thus facilitating fertilization.
A tropical fruit whose healing and slimming properties have become legendary, which is why we can find it in the composition of so many dietary supplements. Malabar tamarind, as that is its Polish name, owes its properties to the content of numerous health-promoting ingredients, the most important of which is hydroxycitric acid (HCA). It is considered to be the most effective blocker of excessive appetite, which allows you to always maintain a healthy body weight. Regular HCA supplementation also affects a more efficient metabolism aimed at burning all unnecessary fat tissue, which can cause various diseases, especially those related to the digestive system. Garcinia cambogia is also valued for its antiviral, anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, anti-heart disease, cleansing the body of toxins and lowering blood cholesterol levels. Except HCA acid, fruits also contain other valuable nutrients, two B vitamins:
- vitamin B1, thiamine, necessary for the proper course of metabolic processes in the body, including energy metabolism. Its right dosage ensures the right functioning of the nervous system, eliminates the feeling of fatigue, cures stomach and intestinal disorders, relieves symptoms of stress and depression, and improves memory;
- vitamin B2, riboflavin, with an anti-inflammatory effect, conditioning proper vision, protecting from asthma, preventing the development of insulin resistance and, consequently, diabetes. It takes care of the condition of the mucosa lining the inside of the digestive system, prevents weakening and loss of hair, skin inflammation, Cheilosis, aphthous ulcers and thrush, and treats photosensitivity and migraine.
The three rules outlined above are only the basis of health care, but of great importance to it. By following an easily digestible diet, full of nutrients, combined with a high dose of physical activity and supported by effective supplements, we will manage to avoid many unpleasant ailments, maintaining full strength throughout our life. At the same time, we should remember about prophylaxis, regular examination of our body, because, as the well-known saying goes, prevention is better than cure. It is the last, fourth rule of a healthy lifestyle, thanks to which we can detect possible abnormalities and implement appropriate treatment in time.